What is Gibbs' Reflective Cycle and Gibbs' Reflective Cycle Analysis?
What is the best way to see whether you are going right or wrong in any field or phase of life? It is to reflect yourself or your profession. But how can your best reflect yourself? Do you have to meditate? Do you write your mistakes in a journal? This is a genuine question and the use of Gibb’s reflective cycle technique can help you best reflect yourself.
If it is the first time you are hearing about Gibb’s reflective cycle then congratulations because now you have found the way to have perfect self-awareness and if you already had an idea about it; then it is even better because that idea is going to leave a strong impact on you from now onwards. So; if you are up for understanding the opportunities, restrictions, and barriers around you then continue reading the post.
What is Gibb’s Reflective Cycle 1988?
This reflective cycle also goes by the name of Gibbs reflective cycle 1988 because it was in the year 1988 that Graham Gibbs; an American Psychologist came up with the idea of this cycle in an effort to enable people to learn from their experiences. This was counted as a great contribution to the sector of learning and assessment.
Gibbs reflective cycle provides a framework for analyzing events and, given that it is cyclical, lends itself particularly well to repeated encounters, allowing you to draw lessons and make plans from both good and bad situations.
Why Use Gibbs Reflective Cycle?
This is a valid question because why would one want to write down his life experience especially if you are not the one who enjoys writing? Well! The answer to this question is quite simple and lies in the name itself “Gibb’s reflective cycle” because it helps you in reflecting yourself in the best possible manner. Some of the goals or objectives of this cycle are as follows;
- It helps you in understanding your strengths and weaknesses.
- It gives you the best opportunity to learn from your plus points and shortcomings.
- It helps you in making a great leader and an individual as well.
- It assists you in motivating your team.
- It aids you to handle situations by making wise decisions.
- It optimizes your time, energy, and performance.
- Gibbs cycle of reflection enables an individual to check that his values goals and objectives are aligned with each other.
- It makes it easier for you to achieve the goals by revising or looking over the strategies in an analytic manner.
Six Stages of Gibb’s Reflective Cycle:
Gibbs reflective cycle is divided into six different stages in order to help an individual assess himself in a perfect manner. These stages are as follows:
In this stage of Gibbs reflective cycle; you are meant to give the details of your experience by answering the following questions.
- What happened?
- When and where did it happen?
- Who was there at that time?
- What were your reaction and other people’s reaction?
- How did the situation turn out to be at the end?
- Why were you there in the first place?
- What do you wish to happen in that scenario?
While writing this stage of the reflective cycle gibbs; you don’t have to mention the questions rather you can begin with the answers.
The next stage of Gibbs reflective cycle is feelings. This is the stage where you have to share the thoughts and feelings that you were going through when this incident was taking place. Some of the questions that could help you with this stage are:
- What emotions did you experience at the time?
- How did you feel both before and after the incident?
- What do you suppose other people were thinking and feeling at the time?
- How do you believe other people currently feel about the circumstance?
- What were you contemplating at the time?
- What do you think of the current circumstances?
As the name implies; this stage holds the true essence of the reflection cycle gibbs because it gives you the chance to evaluate the whole incident. You can assess what worked and what failed in this stage. However; you need to be honest because f on one side you will be high lightening the positive outcomes of your actions you also need to shed light on the negative side of it. Some of the questions that will make this stage easier for you are:
- What aspects of the event were positive and negative?
- What succeeded?
- What went wrong, exactly?
- What positive or bad contributions to the situation did you and the others make?
4. Gibbs Reflective Cycle Analysis:
This stage is the reason why you are using the reflection cycle gibbs method because it helps you in making sense of what happened. You have been concentrating on the specifics of what took place in the circumstance up to this point. Now; you have the opportunity to interpret it. You should focus on the various elements that went well or poorly and consider why.
It is this stage of the reflection cycle gibbs where you can include scholarly material if you are looking to do so. The following questions will help in getting this stage done effectively;
- How come things went well?
- Why did it not work out?
- What kind of sense can I make out of this?
- What information of mine or others can aid in my comprehension of the circumstances? The use of Gibbs reflective cycle reference method can help in this process.
How to reference gibbs reflective cycle?
There are times when a person needs to add the reference of gibbs cycle of reflection but he is not familiar with the original context of the theory then he can use the reference of the work of an author who learned from another author or the context of the theory.
Even though; one should use the original work whenever possible. But in the event that this is not possible, then one must explicitly state that he has not read the original by citing the source of the reference. It is known as a secondary source of gibbs reflective cycle reference method.
As the name implies; this is the stage of gibbs cycle of reflection in which you have to reach a conclusion about what happened. This is the part where a student is meant to highlight the lessons he has learned and how changing his behavior now could lead to better results down the road. It ought to be a logical continuation of the earlier portions.
You can use the following questions as your lead in this stage of the reflection cycle gibbs:
- What did I take away from this experience?
- How could things have turned out better for everyone concerned?
- What abilities do I need to cultivate in order to better handle this situation?
- What other options did I have?
6. Action Plan:
This is the stage that involves making plans for what one would do differently in a related or comparable circumstance in the future. It can also be quite beneficial to consider how one can support his own efforts to behave differently so that he won’t just plan what he will do differently but also how he will ensure that it occurs.
Sometimes the realization alone is sufficient, but there are other occasions when reminders could also prove to be useful. The following reflective questions in this stage of the reflective cycle Gibbs will help an individual in implementing his plan:
- What would I do differently if I had to repeat the action?
- How will I get the necessary skills?
- How can I be certain I will behave differently the next time?
Why is Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle Good?
Even though; the objective of the Gibbs reflective cycle has been discussed earlier still; it is important to point out the advantages of this method, just like you know that hiring US Essay Writer will help you with your essay completion still look for its advantages just to be sure. Following are some of the main advantages of using this method of reflection:
- This method is quite diverse and can be applied in different fields and sectors of life varying from administration to teaching.
- The reflective cycle of Gibbs’ method is quite easy to follow.
- This method can be completed according to your own convenience.
What are the Shortcomings of Gibb’s Reflective Cycle?
All the aspects of a thing must be taken into consideration before implementing it. This is why; it is necessary to look into some of the shortcomings of the reflective cycle of Gibbs’ method, which are as follows:
- There is no account or scope for other people’s opinions or feedback.
- A person must stay determined in order to complete this method till the very end.
- A person has to reach for constructive feedback on his own.
Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle Example:
When students buy Cheap Essay Writing Services USA, they first look into the samples or examples of the essays that have been written by the particular site. This gives an insight to the students about how the essay is written plus about the performance of the academic writers. Similarly; the following example of Gibbs’ reflective cycle will help the readers have a better understanding.
If we were to take an example an individual cooking for his group of friends then the following steps will help in reflecting the whole situation:
My group of friends has decided to cook for each other once in a while and it was my turn to become the host for the evening.
I was extremely anxious leading up to the occasion because I had never prepared for so many people before and I was not sure if I could create extravagant meals like some of my friends. But that evening, when my pals showed up, I was happy and optimistic. Throughout the evening, my friends frequently complimented me, which made it easier for me to unwind and enjoy myself, but I did worry later that my food was not as delicious as others’.
Everyone seemed to be having a great time and the mood was really upbeat which a plus point was for me. However; on the downside, I had to cook the chicken for an additional 20 minutes because it was undercooked. In addition, we ran out of drinks and the vegetables were overcooked.
After some thought, I concluded that I should have researched cooking times and used a timer to aid in my planning. Overall though, the evening was enjoyable, and while considerable attention was paid to my food, it was not our only goal. After the event, I spoke with a few of my friends, and their favorable comments helped me see that my outgoing nature made my friends feel comfortable and helped them enjoy the evening.
This whole experience boosted my confidence and made me realize that it is okay to make mistakes because we are just humans.
The next time I will host an evening, I will conduct a test run beforehand to ensure that I am employing a tried-and-true strategy. I could also ask someone who is more accustomed to doing this than I am for advice. I will feel more organized and self-assured as the event approaches thanks to this.
Gibbs’ reflective cycle really helps you in concluding thoughtful results plus it is quite easy so it won’t take much of your time.
Save up to 25% Off on your First Order.
We have experienced and industry specific writers available for your support.
We have a special team to deal with urgent orders.
Our writers always do your order from scratch, so there is no chance of plagiarism.