Step By Step Essay Writing Guideline for Beginners
You have been writing essays since you were in primary school. As you step ahead in your academic life, essay writing becomes difficult. You should have good essay writing knowledge to find out how to write best essay? So let’s start!
What Is Essay Writing?
An essay is a piece of writing dedicated to informing or persuading the reader. There are multiple types of essays some are more formal than others. Keep on reading to find the general types of essays.
Types Of Essays:
- Argumentative essay
- In an argumentative essay, you have to investigate a topic. Then gather, generate and evaluate evidence. Following this, you should establish your position on the topic concisely.
- Expository essay:
- In an expository essay, you have to give a clear and focused explanation of the topic. There is no need for an original argument. Just write a well-organized and stabilized view of your topic.
- Narrative essay:
- In narrative essays, you have to use a storytelling tone. This type of essay is generally the most personal type of essay a student has to write. They can use metaphors, analogies, alliteration, and much more, freely in these essays.
- Descriptive essay:
- In a descriptive essay, you have to write a detailed sensory description of the subject. Your subject may be an event, a person, or a place.
Essay Writing Guideline for Beginners: Step-By-Step
Step#1 – Identify a topic
First of all, you need to select a topic for your essay. At times, you will be given a topic by the teacher so you can skip this step. If not, then you have to select a topic that fits you the best.
Choosing a good topic is the start of the essay and one of the best tips to write essay. Why so? It is simple – what makes a good topic is how interesting it is to you. Apart from this, you have to consider the interest of your reader as well. A topic that you find interesting will motivate you to write a better essay. Moreover, if the topic is interesting for the reader as well, you will get a good result.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself before identifying a final topic:
- Is this something you are passionate about?
- What aspect or idea do I want to share?
- Are there any misunderstandings you want to sort out?
- Is there a best way to present this topic of information?
- Is this topic relevant?
- What makes your topic unique?
In a nutshell, identifying a topic is the start of an essay. Choosing a good topic, and meeting the criteria above is one of the tips for essay writing you should use.
Step#2 – Preparation of Essay Writing:
- You need to write down everything that comes into your mind. You can always narrow those topics down later.
- You should use mind mapping to brainstorm and come up with an essay idea. This includes writing your idea in the center of the paper and creating bubbles or clouds of related ideas around it.
Brainstorming is one of the incredible tips for essay writing. It helps you develop a topic more deeply and to know the connections between various aspects of the topic.
This is why teachers management tips related to time are getting a lot of attention. One such tip is setting clear goals for the day. Question yourself why did you choose to become a teacher? Where do you see yourself going with this? What is your ultimate objective?
- Next up is research. Research is the backbone of any essay. In fact, if someone asks how to write best essay? Ask them to improve their research skills.
Once you are done deciding what topic to go for, start researching it. You can refer to books, articles, newspapers as well as the internet. According to professional essay writers, you should not go for blogs with anonymous authors. Citing any of the information from such a blog is a risk. They can provide false facts and other unauthorized information which will lower your grade. Take notes of everything you find
- Making An Outline:
- The next step is to make an outline of what you are going to write in the essay. In this step, you basically categorize the information. To do so you have to make headings and sub-headings. This will help you organize your essay better. You will not forget any information or put it in the wrong order if you have made an outline.
Step#3 – How to Write an Introduction?
The introduction you write sets the tone for your essay. This is why you should write an introduction that is eye-catching for the reader. The introduction usually takes up 10 to 20 percent of the entire essay.
Here is what you have to write in the introduction part:
Hook The Reader:
The opening sentence of your introduction should spike the reader’s interest. They should get the feeling of wanting to read more of your document. This is what is meant by hooking the reader. According to professional writers of College Admission Essay USA suggests you should start with interesting questions related to the topic. You can also add any relevant surprising fact or a bold statement.
Give Background On Your Topic:
It is important to give context so that the reader can understand your argument. This usually includes giving background information. Moreover, you have to give an overview of important academic work on the topic, and explain difficult terminologies.
Remember to not provide too much detail in the introduction. Save these details for the body of your essay.
Present the Thesis Statement:
The last par includes you writing a thesis statement. A thesis statement is a sentence that introduces the main topic to the reader. It provides focus and signals where you stand on the topic. A thesis statement is normally one or two sentences long. It is better that you keep the length in mind. One of the best tips to write essay includes avoiding broad thesis statements.
Step#4 – How To Write Other Paragraphs?
Now you have to write the body of your essay. The body is the lengthiest part of essay writing. Depending on the type of essay, you can describe the story in the case of a narrative essay. For an argumentative essay, you will give evidence to support your argument. All of this should be in great detail.
Here are a few tips you can follow when writing the body of your essay:
- Explain each one of your main ideas in at least one paragraph. If the main idea takes up more than one paragraph then it is fine. Feel free to write some more.
- Remember to stay as concise as possible.
- Add practical life examples if they help in explaining your point more clearly.
- If you are writing a formal academic essay such as a dissertation then avoid using first-person pronouns.
- Refrain from plagiarism, it is a crime in the academic world.
- Cite all information
Step#5 -Writing Conclusion
Even though the conclusion come at the end of your essay, you should not think of it as an afterthought. As a final passage or chapter, it is your last chance to make them agree with you. Therefore you should follow the format religiously.
You have to summarize all of the main factors discussed in the essay. But remember to not eat up any details just because you want to summarize the key points.
Tips to End the Essay:
Here are a few tips to end your essay:
- Bring together the essay’s main points
- Display why your argument is important
- Leave a strong impression on the reader
Step#6: Editing and Proofreading:
Editing and proofreading are both parts of revision (Helpwithdisseration, 2021). A lot of students make grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors throughout their essays. (Redman and Maples, 2017) editing and proofreading can get rid of it all.
To edit your essay means you are taking care of all the structural errors. You can add or subtract information in this stage. Proofreading your essay will allow you to get rid of all grammatical. Punctuational and spelling mistakes.
After completing editing and proofreading, your essay is ready to be submitted. This step is very important. If you skip editing and proofreading your paper will contain a lot of mistakes. These mistakes will reduce the overall quality of the essay. This will not only give you poor results but you will be perceived as a weak student too.
Despite of this some students do not edit or proofread their essays. This is largely because they do not have enough time to do it. They are busy attending to other priorities. Then some students are just lazy and overestimate their writing skills.
That is why they need to take help. You should ask a friend to help you with editing and proofreading or any essay writing service in USA. You can ask your sibling to read out loud the essay and look for mistakes together.
You have reached the end of this post. This is a very simplified version of an essay writing guideline. Feel free to tailor it according to the essay you are writing.
Save up to 25% Off on your First Order.
We have experienced and industry specific writers available for your support.
We have a special team to deal with urgent orders.
Our writers always do your order from scratch, so there is no chance of plagiarism.